Sunday, March 16, 2008

Evensong

Cenotaph to the Memory of Sir John Reynolds - John Constable [1836]
National Gallery - London

2 As the deer longs for streams of water, so my soul longs for you, O God.
3 My being thirsts for God, the living God. When can I go and see the face of God?
4 My tears have been my food day and night, as they ask daily,"Where is your God?"
5 Those times I recall as I pour out my soul, When I went in procession with the crowd, I went with them to the house of God, Amid loud cries of thanksgiving, with the multitude keeping festival.
6 Why are you downcast, my soul; why do you groan within me? Wait for God, whom I shall praise again, my savior and my God.
7 My soul is downcast within me; therefore I will remember you From the land of the Jordan and Hermon, from the land of Mount Mizar.
8 Here deep calls to deep in the roar of your torrents. All your waves and breakers sweep over me.
9 At dawn may the LORD bestow faithful love that I may sing praise through the night, praise to the God of my life.
10 I say to God, "My rock, why do you forget me? Why must I go about mourning with the enemy oppressing me?"
11 It shatters my bones, when my adversaries reproach me. They say to me daily: "Where is your God?"
12 Why are you downcast, my soul, why do you groan within me? Wait for God, whom I shall praise again, my savior and my God.
- Psalm 42 [NAB]

No comments: