Sunday, May 4, 2008

Baggins and Bourne


When feeling most trapped by this "transitional cell carcinoma of the renal pelvis," and, admittedly, under the literal breath-taking effects of the pain-killer Percocet, it felt as though I were entering a dark, airless, rock tunnel, far beneath the earth - forgotten, alone, doomed.

"What good is this to God's Kingdom?" crossed my mind, even as I "offered up" the whole experience. I had brought a picture of the image of the face on the Shroud of Turin, but it seemed a rock-hewn picture itself; something my fingers my chance upon in this cave of despond.

But two thoughts came to me: (1) Frodo Baggins, J. R. R. Tolkien's hobbit who in Lord of the Rings must carry the evil Ring of Power to Mount Doom and there destroy it with no hope of return himself. And (2) Color Sergeant Bourne in the 1964 classic film, Zulu. Frodo carries out his journey and ordeal literally with no hope; or rather, the journey itself is for him his only hope. Color Sergeant Bourne carries out his orders, effectively, chivalrously, and dutifully, in the face of overwhelming odds. Instead of a rifle, however, picture the faithful Color Sergeant carrying a staff with a banner of the Cross.

These are my heroes these days. For both, it seems to me, exemplify for me obedience to the Lord who says, "...when you have done all that is commanded you say, 'We are unworthy servants; we have only done what was our duty'" (Luke 17,10).

No comments: