Thursday, May 1, 2008

Seek Ye First the Kingdom of God

I have received a few batches of letters from my students, all showing concern and caring as I am home now to recuperate from my surgery.

It is obvious as an educator who spent more time with these kids during the week than their parents, they don't grasp the time-span of my 4-6 week recovery period. They live on-the-fly, making decisions and forming attitudes on the emotional roller coaster called early adolescence. Of course, to their credit, before this wake-up call, I spent my time in a regimen of balancing my time between job, family, cross-training, blogging, and caring for perennials. I'm totally in my students' corner on this one: what AM I doing now?

(1) I am doing what the doctor orders: no exercise (there goes the cross-training, a positive addiction), Percocet - no more than 1-pill every four hours for pain, and plenty of water to get my last kidney used to doing all the heavy lifting (I guess I AM getting SOME exercise).

(2) I am realizing the trauma that my body underwent in a 4-hour surgery a week ago. Evidence of it is that I feel new kinds of pain nearly every day as this and that organ and/or set of nerves wake up from being in shock -- yes, in shock. Again, thank goodness for Percocet.

(3) I do not expect students to understand any of the above, nor if it comes to it, anyone who has not been told that (a) without this surgery you will die of cancer and (b) do exactly as you are told until 4-6 weeks pass with frequent monitoring to follow. The comeuppance is I find myself in a very select club and lifestyle very unlike the one I have practiced for most my adult life.

The upside is, I am spending a lot of time reading things I want to read: some Tolkien and more of Pope Benedict's Jesus of Nazareth than I had before. I am dozing under the influence of drugs. I am praying using a Rosary blessed by the Holy Father when he was on his Mission to the United States. I am wondering, if I get a clear bill of health, how long it will take to get back to my former state of conditioning. Only the last item sounds very selfish and a little silly -- after all, it didn't keep cancer away did it?

But I must have hopes -- small 'h' -- and the only way I can have hopes is by believing in a Great Hope -- the kind that Cardinal Newman spoke of.

And so, gentle reader, I beg your forgiveness if I am off the mainline, out of the loop, and in a side current not of my own volition or doing. I also ask for your prayers and intentions as I try my best to be faithful, hopeful, and loving in this desert time of my life. Many thanks.

3 comments:

Genevieve said...

God Bless You!

You must keep up your hope for returning to the little enjoyable things of life. It will help you heal physically!

We are all praying for your speedy recovery and clean bill of health!

David Nybakke said...

Most excellent post Ath, my hat tips to you.

You wrote:

"how long it will take to get back to my former state of conditioning."

When I went through this same procedure, about 3 years after I had suffered a stroke, I had come to realize that my 'former state of conditioning' was part of these events and visa-versa. I found that through the stroke and then the bout with cancer that a new found quiet was unveiled to me from deep within - a peace that I had never been able to tap into before.

My suggestion is not to be in such a hurry to "get back to my former state of conditioning," but rather allow this 'down' time, suffering and peace to work on you - allow yourself to feel God molding and massaging your body and person. And maybe most of all, allow yourself to be loved and cared for by your family, friends and admirers (count me in these last 2 categories).

Peace
Aramis

Athos said...

I took to heart your advice about letting my family care for me yesterday, Aramis: it is amazing how it opened my eyes to see the ways even my 17-year old was (in his own way) trying to reach out.

This is a time of contemplative, desert living, as Porthos said in his 4M comment to me. And I am feeling the bathing of God's Spirit, tho' it is wrapped in the inexorable 'Cloud of Unknowing'.

Thank you all for your kind and continued ways of praying and sustaining me.