Monday, September 22, 2008

Horns of the Pro-Life Dilemma

Here is a fellow who calls himself an “orthodox Catholic” and will not be voting for either the Republican nor Democratic presidential candidate. [ht: Mark Shea, who considers himself a fellow traveler]

My question is, Is a vote for the lesser of two evils morally wrong? Or more specifically, while I, too, have issues with Sen. McCain's inconsistent stance toward the Culture of Life, isn't my non-voting a way of helping the decidedly Culture of Death candidate possibly enter into office?

1 comment:

David Nybakke said...

Ah, thank you Ath for bringing this up (in particular with MS). I have NEVER been a fan of McCain but I feel that your position of voting for McCain even though you may have some misgivings about him is absolutely the right choice and in turn I feel that MS is fouling himself. The Catholic position seems clear to me in THIS election (I am only looking at this election and not comparing to any other). I have tried to make sense out of what MS writes in justifying his position which I believe is an anti-Catholic one and I just don't get it. We have in this election a choice - one who is adamant about his stance for the culture of Death and one who is claiming a culture of LIFE in our Catholic's first priority. To not vote goes against what we believe. I feel that MS either does not want to relinquish some tie with the culture of Death or he simply does not want to have trust in someone who has leanings toward a culture of LIFE. And in such a close election where every vote is important - to throw it away is the same as voting for the culture of Death.