Sunday, August 23, 2009

Glorious Sons and Daughters

Here's the deal. I used to enjoy going to the movies. This was when violence and killing was not a form of entertainment for box-office junkies. That is to say, when the Christian faith in general (vague, euphemistic, focus-group driven) and Catholic truth in particular (it is, you know) still informed and influenced popular culture.

Now, however, poor blighters pour out millions of dollars - what an industry! - to spend over two hours watching the likes of Brad Pitt (pictured above mugging and earning millions of dollars) do what passes for acting. But his influence far out-passes that of Our Lord in the sad, neo-pagan West.

I do not worship the "right" to bear arms or to use them on fellow human beings (or baseball bats, for that matter).

Oh, yes. And I didn't see "Inglourious Basterds." I've seen more than enough Tarantino for one life (sitting through the trailer was all I needed). Did you? Pity.

2 comments:

Sean O'Brian said...

Hi Athos,

Armond White wrote an interesting review of this film in the New York Press which confirmed my initial feelings after watching the trailer and helped guarantee I won't be going to see it: Nazi Junkie Jamboree

Athos said...

Thanks, Sean. Brilliant review.