Monday, April 20, 2009

Mark Steyn - Tea parties

... Asked about the tea parties, President Barack Obama responded that he was not aware of them. As Marie Antoinette said, "Let them drink Lapsang Souchong." His Imperial Majesty at Barackingham Palace having declined to acknowledge the tea parties, his courtiers at the Globe and elsewhere fell into line. Talk-show host Michael Graham spoke to one attendee at the 2009 Boston Tea Party who remarked of the press embargo: "If Obama had been the king of England, the Globe wouldn't have covered the American Revolution."
The American media, having run their own business into the ground, are certainly qualified to run everybody else's into the same abyss. Which is why they've decided that hundreds of thousands of citizens protesting taxes and out-of-control spending and government vaporization of Americans' wealth and their children's future is no story. Nothing to see here. As Nancy Pelosi says, it's AstroTurf – fake grass-roots, not the real thing.
Read all of Tea Party animals not boiling over - Media portrayals of protesters as right-wing kooks are overheated.

3 comments:

David Nybakke said...

I don't understand this whole "tea party" party. Our local itsy-bitsy-teenie-weenie tea party were mostly those who voted for I Won. I don't get it. What did you expect? They voted for him and now they want him to change his spots? This same group refused to listen to opponents of I won before the election and now they something different than what they voted for...

This though brings to mind the idea that democracy is ruled by either the crowd or the enemy - often these two are indistinguishable.

Peace to you my good friend.

Athos said...

What I find fascinating, Aramis, is what isn't being said by proponents and enemies of said 'tea parties'.

As you say, often members of them are those who, having voted for I Won, now are experiencing buyer's blues - a bait and switch happened under their very noses and they are royally p.o.ed.

Then there are the I-told-you-so gaggle of GOP type conservatives who would like nothing so much as to fan flames of a real uprising. Do they know what they are asking for? Do they want a typical American draw-within-the-lines uprising, or a real conflagration? Probably the former; after all, crowds eventually don't care what kind of politician they string up.

I want to believe there are hard working stiffs - the done-untos of bipartisan American politics - who dutifully pay their taxes and bills and mortgages and eek out a meager existence raising their children with a diminishing appreciation of and practice of Christian faith.

But the liberal MSM only sees tea parties as a plan hatched at Fox, at GOP headquarters - and plans to keep reporting them as such in good old doubling rivalry idiocy.

When did the MSM become such slaves to doubling rivalry? Brother.

David Nybakke said...

I don't know where MSM comes up with the stuff they do. I could actually believe that some "community organizer" from I Won's camp, unbeknownst by MSM, is behind all this. If I Won is going to have any success he needs an enemy, even if it comes from within and I know that community organizers are well versed in this sort of warfare. What perfect set-up for the I Won camp to play out to the MSM: a 'mob action type revolt' and you blame it on radical right-wing, nazi types.

Next all that needs to happen is at one of these "events" a death occurs.

I'm sorry, don't pay no mind to me, I'm a raging kook anyway.