Monday, February 11, 2008

The Macabre Paganism of "Bodies" Exhibit

Cincinnati Enquirer reporter Peter Bronson digs up (sorry) a few creepy facts about the "Bodies - The Exhibition" that is making its deadly excursion around the United States. Recall that Archbishop Daniel Pilarczyk stated that it the macabre exhibit was inappropriate for Catholic schools to consider for "field trips" saying the church maintains that dead bodies must be treated "in a way that recognizes the dignity of the human person."

I can understand how some see beauty in "Bodies." But I saw macabre manikins dressed in death's latest fashions. I don't condemn people who like it. But people who object don't need to apologize, either.

The people who should be ashamed are those who don't care where the bodies came from.

"When I see pictures of the exhibit, I feel something," said Morris Tsai, a Chinese-American of Mount Auburn, who protested at the Museum Center. "Maybe it's in the eyes or facial structure, but I can totally see that they're Chinese and I feel sorry for them. For we have taken advantage of the fact that since they died poor and alone, that somehow consent isn't necessary to turn a human being into a museum piece."

He wonders how Americans would feel if the bodies were unclaimed victims of Katrina. The answer is obvious: There would be hell to pay.

"Allowing Chinese to be put on display diminishes me and others like me," Tsai said.

I'd say parading dead bodies for profit diminishes everybody.

Read all of Bronson's story here.

No comments: