Thursday, April 8, 2010

Ben Hur, Dad's World, and Ours


As I do odd-jobs today, clearing the deck for my 3-month cancer check tomorrow, I finished without doubt my favorite film about Our Lord from the golden age of cinema, Ben Hur (1959). What I like about it is that it has the Gospel and Our Lord just off center-stage, but indelibly interwoven with the family of the protagonist, Judah Ben Hur. It is the kind of movie that my less than a year deceased United Methodist pastor father loved, because it bolstered his Christian faith at a time when the United States was ostensibly at-one with the biblical faith, morals, and ethos.

I converted to Mother Church nine years ago this summer because I saw that the Protestantism of my father would not, could not, sustain one in the coming storm of Moloch worship, the increasing momentum of jihad of the Scimitar, and the reversion to neo-paganism by the Judeo-Christian rejecting West. (Structurally, all three are symptomatic of Girard's "primitive sacred.")

What studio today would make Ben Hur? Except for loopy Mel's Icon Productions (Passion of the Christ), none would. The tipping point in America has been passed, but it isn't one of "global warming/climate change." It is the Rubicon of rejection of the Gospel of Jesus Christ, and him crucified (I Cor 2,2), and we are seeing every day the ramifications of this rejection, from so-called "health care reform," to the Beirut-ization of American towns and cities all around us.

We must not, however, fall into despair. As Monsignor Ronald Knox said, God has used such abandonments and betrayals before to rejuvenate the Church, and He will continue to do so.

Be faithful, vigilant, loving and wise, engaging in Marian chivalry. Stand with the Holy Father, our brothers-in-arms and sisters-in-arms. God is with us. We are not alone. Thanks be to God.

No comments: